Saturday, April 16, 2011

Your Highness



Your Highness immediately jumped to my least favorite movie of the year slot. It makes The Green Hornet look like someone actually put more thought into that than this new film from writers Danny McBride and Ben Best (Eastbound and Down) and director David Gordon Green. I can't believe it, I'm actually hating on something David Gordon Green has made. The man mastered coming-of-age in George Washington, romance in All the Real Girls, tragedy in Snow Angels, and hilarity in Pineapple Express (I've yet to see Undertow). Well, at least he kept the tradition going of each new movie being different than his last.

The story of Your Highness follows two brotherly knights, Thadeus (Danny McBride) and Fabious (James Franco), as they try to rescue a princess named Belladonna (Zooey Deschanel) from the evil wizard Leezar (Justin Theroux) before he impregnates her and has some dragon-baby. They are joined by several character actors on their journey (Toby Jones, Charles Dance, Damian Lewis) and they also encounter a warrior played by Natalie Portman.

The film is just constantly immature. I'm not even sure what the joke is. Is that a joke when they say "fuck" and "shit"? I think so, mainly because the actual jokes just fall flat and are poorly written. The movie relies on shock instead of genuine humor, even when it tries to parody other movies. This is even worse than a bad Mel Brooks movie. I don't even like the movies they are parodying. Those aren't even good.

I found myself just sighing at all the trashiness. At least the women in the film looked beautiful as ever. They were more pleasing than the actual story. Hey, kudos to whoever put together that reel at New York Comic-Con that made me want to see the movie in the first place. They actually edited it to look like this might've at least been fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment